Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Let's do what we love, and do a lot of it

And so, it is Tuesday. Today is a holiday so no work for me. I am really thankful for this not because I need a day off...But really who doesn't love that...But I am quite behind on about 1000 things. I was planning to go to Paris today but I really am trying to be a decent student! I need to catch up on my law class, my French class, Christmas shopping, this flipping blog and just talking to some friends any family.

Before I write about anything happy or the ridiculous night I had this past weekend I have to say, one of the hardest and worst things about being here is being far away. Literally. I knew this would happen and I thought I'd be well equipped to handle it all when the days came but it's been hard. Two of my closest friends are going through the best and worst times in their life right now and I'm 4,000 some odd miles away. I can't do anything. Helpless. The knowing there is nothing I can do makes me feel so incredibly guilty and selfish and puts me in a place I don't really want to be. It's one thing to be this far away but on the same continent. Or even just far away in the US. But I can't just jump on a flight for a weekend and head home. Flights coming here are almost always overnight arriving the next day because of the time change. Flights going back are much easier and will arrive the same day. Anyway, remember this if you want to leave or move away. It is not easy. Specially when major live events occur and you are 150% helpless to the people you love.

Last week was uneventful to whatever degree. I went out with a friend during the day on Tuesday before class. We realized that the class isn't helping with French. The best way to learn is to just speak it. It is literally amazing what we were able to say to each other and learn just in the time we talked. In class we don't speak. I don't speak French at home either because I'm teaching their kids English and the parents both speak English. Not being forced to speak French is what is stunting my French development. That and I am sure it’s partly my fault. I could study more, but I don’t; especially now with my law class, which of course I am behind in. School and me just don’t seem to get along. And it’s just too bad. I really want to go get another bachelors or a masters but ugh. School. I am going to spend my night doing my law work from last week and starting on this weeks. I am going to study French as well, I hope.  

I started training for my half marathon. I am now wondering what the hell I got myself into! My coach is amazing as usual. Today I did some speed training and I wanted to cry. The weather was so perfect and I was just running laps along one of the two rivers that my town sits on. I know it is only going to get harder, I just hope my body holds out. This training program I stole from my coach is kinda intense and probably for people better at running than myself. I guess we will see. Tomorrow, thank god, is active rest day. I couldn’t be more happy…although maybe just plain rest day will be even better.

This past weekend I stayed in Paris in a flat in the Jewish District. I really love that area. Right around the corner from the flat is actually a restaurant called Breakfast in America. We didn’t eat there but I will go back and eat there at some point. We had falafel from the Jewish District for lunch on Sunday. Had never had this. But it was street food and so good. The smells that were coming from the few blocks we were walking on were amazing. I found out that on Sundays they close down one of the major roads that runs along the Seine for runners and bikers and things. I have this as a goal to get there one Sunday and run. Maybe next weekend. Anyway, I went out on Saturday night with my friend from class. I don’t know that I have enough time or words to describe the crazy night we had. We both wanted something low key. I hadn’t been sleeping and she wasn’t feeling great. First we went out shopping at a few stores. I wanted a new bag she wanted shoes. We bought nothing. Then we walked the like 4 miles to the bar I went to the weekend before. The bartender I had made friends with was there again, which I am thankful for and he recognized me and remembered what we talked about. So we got some drinks and just started talking. Mostly dumb girl stuff, complaining about life, talking about fifty shades of grey, college, partying, boobs…regular two white girls out at a bar shit. No big deal. They weren’t playing any college games yet, so there was rugby on tv. Well, then it all turned…for the worse? Maybe the best since we had soo much more to talk about after. A guy walked up to us and introduced himself, perfectly normal situation at a bar. Then all his friends came over. They were from South Africa. I, like most American girls, are suckers for accents. I have to say, the South African accent was no different. Phew. So we talked with them, great, laughing having a good time. We asked about the stereotypes that foreigners/French have for American girls. I only thought there was one major one. As it turns out my friend was able to name several and the guys mostly agreed. We are slutty/easy, loud, we talk slowly (???), we are animated in our talking and smile a lot (again ???). This was all quite enlightening. So before this even happened, a guy wearing an Arizona State sweat shirt rolled in. My friend is from Arizona so we agreed she would go say hello.  She did and came back and decided he was a douche. The way he introduced himself was apparently a no go for her. He said he was from New York but living in Boston and went to Arizona State for 8 years. 8 years. It takes 4 years to get through college. Me and my friend would allow for 5 since we both went for 5. Maybe even six, shit happens; but 8 YEARS?!!! FOR A BACHELORS DEGREE?! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!! At FSU they now charge you extra if you don’tyou’re your shit together and get a degree or leave. Anyway, throughout the night this gentlemen and I seemed to meet in the bathroom several times. The bathroom in this place consists of a small room, with a small stall and then a bunch of urinals. It’s a free for all and not a wait outside situation. Guys and gals share. Well, upon my first meeting with this guy in the bathroom I found out he had just arrived in Paris that morning…for…guess…HIS HONEYMOON!!!!! He was in Paris…PARIS…one of the most romantic places ever, on the FIRST night of his honeymoon, in a bar, alone, watching a football game. Um. No. Just no. So, we judged him all night. Things got interesting then just boring with him. At some point, my Italian (I think) bartender friend came and gave us shots. I don’t know what it was, but it was good. Anyway, the South African guys don’t leave. They keep talking and talking and as the night goes on, they become bigger and bigger assholes. We drink more, they give us shots. Spilling them all over my pants in a very…awkward…place. I also got martini spilt on my shoes and on my friends pants. South African guys have a hard time holding on to their drinks, or so it would seem. Awesome. Well, without going into so much detail, they stayed with us for hours. More hours than either of us wanted. My friend has a boyfriend and I wasn’t looking to go home with any of them, which I suspect was their intention based on all the drinks and shots they bought us. Turns out, they are sexist assholes. I don’t know if that was the booze, seeing as how they got worse throughout the night. All I know is on the like 30 minute walk we had home at 4am, we had PLENTY to talk about. Sadly for us, once the South Africans left, it wasn’t over. Some wonderful, lovely guy just sat down next to us. He had a British accent, a very heavy British accent but tried to tell us he was from New York. Whatever. He was literally such an asshole that we both looked at each other, stood up, said peace and left. It was 4 am anyway, and it was time to get the hell out of that place. What an exhausting night. I don’t know if the highlight or low light of the night was the bartender actively making fun of us for the guys not leaving us alone. He said it was nice and they were trying so hard. Apparently, in France if after 3-4 hours a girl doesn’t come on to you or doesn’t say she wants to come home with you it means stick around. I am sure there are so, so many more details I could include but it wouldn’t be fair to the men who made some attempt on their evening and left alone or to myself for having to relive it in excruciating detail.

Up next, I think I am going to go to the Louvre this weekend. We will see. Next weekend my family is out of town and the following weekend I think my friend and I are going to stay in Paris and celebrate Thanksgiving together by seeing the Hunger Games and probably drinking. Oh! Walking home at 4am in the streets of Paris is sketchy, to say the least. Some very strange people are around and try to get you to give them money and follow you. They also apparently pick out the foreigners…ie two small white girls speaking English. If you go to or are in Paris, just be aware of this. Don’t walk around late alone. I don’t necessarily know the crime rates and things but it is kind of well known that these things happen.

I am getting really excited for my mom coming at Christmas. We have also been finalizing our plans for New Years in London. I wanted Amsterdam, but I think London was maybe more ma’s tempo. I’ll still make it to Amsterdam sometime. It’s just a 3 hour train ride away. One of the South African guys, the most attractive and best accented…(?!)…one said Prague is a place we HAVE to go. So, adding that to the list. Until next time? Oh! Attached are some pics I took of our walk around Paris Sunday. Some are just of Notre Dame again, some of a Love Lock Bridge. Technically there is only one Love Lock Bridge, the original, which is not this picture, but they are sprouting up all around Paris. Au Revoir. 

Title Quote: Marc Jacobs-pinterest 


Streets

Notre Dame



Cool scooter/motorcycle?

Hotel de Ville (one of my favorite buildings in Paris)

Streets

Love Lock Bridge

Notre Dame


Weird modern building






Quidditch in France!

3 comments:

  1. Two things: (1) nothing good happens after 2am, so go home then. (2) Stop hating school so much. If you weren't all up in your head about it every 5 seconds, it would go a lot better for you.

    Oh, and a third thing - can you use paragraph breaks? This shit is hard to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Soicher,

      I'll work on my grammar, spelling and over all English skills for you. Haha. And yea let me tell you about after 2 am... But when all American sports, specially college football occur after 2 am its hard...

      Delete
  2. You're a survivor sweet godchild of mine. You have and will learn so much about so many things in your year in France. You will see that it was a true blessing for you to be there. By the way........We miss you too! love you

    ReplyDelete